Thursday, January 16, 2014

Perspectives Change

At nearly seventy-five years-old, I am blessed immensely. One blessing is my ability to remember; that may change but it's intact now!
My 1973-74, Edwardsville "Tigers" were very good; perhaps it was on the cusp of being one of the best Edwardsville teams since the mid-1950's. We were on a roll and ranked in the State's top ten when our 6'9" post player, Tom Gammill dislocated his shoulder. Tom would never fully recover and what could've been fell short and we finished @ 20-7, with no post-season run.


Let me preface my recollections with this acknowledgment: I grew up playing basketball and pitching for the East St. Louis "Flyers" in the Southwestern Conference. As a kid, I played basketball against Sherrill Hanks', Alton club, Virgil Fletcher's 'Kahoks" and competed as a baseball hurler and basketball player against Joe Lucco's Edwardsville teams. I had a sincere respect for each of those men. I later coached against Hank's Quincy 'Blue Devils" and Fletcher's Collinsville teams.


The '73-'74 Tigers and Kahoks had two high profiled, high-scoring guards. Edwardsville's Dick Brown and Collinsville's Marc Fletcher put a lot of points on the scoreboard. Fletcher, the coach's son, was not shy about shooting and equally free expressing emotions on the floor, which seemed to irritate opponents. Brown was closed mouth and deadpan with expressions. I often thought he'd make a good
poker player.


We were hosting Collinsville and the 3,200 fans were geared and ready before the J.V. game began This was to be somewhat of a 'shootout' between two highly touted downstate guards.


As the varsity warm-ups ended the players were returning to their respective benches to await the starting line-up announcements. At this moment two Edwardsville high school (male) students walked onto the court holding high above their heads a well-fashioned bright and colorful paper mache' hot dog-in-a-bun. Leaving no doubt the intended target; FLETCHER was printed neatly on the hot dog in contrasting black letters. The crowd was crazy with reactions. The PA began to announce the visiting Kahoks as the hot dog made a lap around the court.


The announcement of the first Kahok player seemed to settle the crowd down somewhat and then the second eruption came: As Marc Fletcher was introduced six or seven raw hot dogs came flying onto the court, thrown by some EHS kids.  It was at that moment, I walked directly towards Coach Fletcher with a specific mission. I intended to apologize for the rudeness of throwing objects onto the court. I was okay with the paper mache' hot dog but I strongly felt that the raw hot dog thrown at a high school player crossed the line.


I said, "Coach Fletcher, let me offer an apology for that behavior." Fletcher, holding  half a hot dog he had retrieved, threw the hot dog at me hitting my chest and responded, "Roustio, you put'em up to this!" He was incorrect; I had absolutely no knowledge of the events unfolding.. I changed pace and said. "Virgil, you get ready to have your ass beat!!" We beat Collinsville that night by 15 points and Brown embarrassed Fletcher. Actually, Brown, late in the game, held the ball on his hip and beckoned Fletcher, who was then guarding Brown, to 'come-on!' I immediately, called a time out and told Dick to knock off the taunting.


A few weeks later, we were playing at Belleville West and Fletcher and Frank Pitol (assistant) were in the stands with their wives 'scouting' my Tigers. Tom Gammill dislocated his shoulder a second time. One of my assistants nudged me and pointed to Fletcher's party...they were all standing, glad-handing, laughing and applauding. Did I tell you that I grew up in the SWC respecting...never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment