Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ain't No Comparison

I have always enjoyed song and singing. No doubt, my Methodist Church (old time gospel) upbringing planted the seed even before I can recall. There is never a day that passes that I don't spend 15-to-20 minutes with a hymnal or pop music lyrics singing aloud. Most often my wife and poodle, Yodie are the only ears to hear. There are times when I sing regardless who may be in my home; I just love music.
When our three children were teens traveling down vacation highways, we had an agreement that they could listen to 30-minutes of 'tapes' featuring their musical choices and then mother & I got our 30 minutes. Our son was bitten by the old man's choices and has a liking for them. I cannot say the same for my daughters but I do recall one daughter and husband selecting "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes' for their wedding song.
Some nights when sleep refuse its comfort, I retire to my downstairs den where my musical selections number approximately 1000 LP's, 1500 45's and 300 CD's. I may listen to songs from the '40's-'50's -'60's and a few newer releases. Many nights I will "burn" old 45s onto CD a make composites to send to friends.
I tend to be very critical of many of today's song stylist...in my opinion,  most cannot sing but they are loud, the men are usually unshaven and sloppily attired while the women are dressed 'selling' more than a song. If it sounds as if I believe the music of yesterday (1940-50-60) tops anything today, I confess to being correct. Let me make the case easy for you to understand: This Christmas season make it a point to shop the mall a few times and pay attention to the holiday songs. The greatest number of voices  you will hear are from the '40's '50's & '60's... Nate 'King' Cole, Perry Como, Brenda Lee, Bobby Helms, Elvis, Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Ray Charles and others from the period. I rest my case. I believe when all from those great lyric-singers generation are dead and gone, their decendents will be listening to Bing Crosby singing 'White Christmas.'

No comments:

Post a Comment