Tuesday, December 2, 2014

I'm Just Sayin'

It is easy for me to identify how I developed my liberal (social) views and tolerance. First, my maternal grandmother (Mammy Bennett) had my audience and was in my head with Jesus' teachings from my earliest recollections. Then obtaining a college degree in sociology sealed the deal. I am who I am.
Knocking aside others' myths and prejudicial beliefs about minorities has been a long passionate journey. This acknowledged, it does little to help the cause when those whom I support self- destruct with bull- head blindness. Case in point: Michael Brown did not deserve to be killed by a police officer that fateful day in Ferguson, Missouri. In the aftermath, Michael Brown should not be made into some saintly martyr. He appeared to be somewhat misguided about retail store economics. He also projected himself as a bully. I suggest Michael Brown should be alive today and perhaps awaiting trial for shopping lifting.
Another thing...when a black NFL player leaves traces of physical force on his young son's body , I don't need a black NBA player coming to that father's defense saying, "That's how black parents discipline." That is an absolute stupid comment. Thank God no one suggested that black men 'keep their women in line' by punching their lights out on public elevators!
My plea is simple: Many black people need to stop making it so damn difficult for a white social-liberal Christian guy to be on the side of minorities; God only knows that there are enough white, so-called Christians, who didn't have a Mammy and believe we sociologist are fools.
Black leaders need to examine 'talking points' or risk becoming akin to Fox News' perception of 'fair and balanced.'

No comments:

Post a Comment