Friday, June 12, 2015

Dance Ballerina Dance

Tonight, my wife and I will be in Barrington, Illinois attending a granddaughter's dance recital. This will be my 31st dance recital; yes I am counting. All dance recitals are too long. Some are better than others. About fifty percent of the participants don't want to be in a dance recital and about seventy percent should not be in a dance recital. Note: Parents at dance recitals suffer from the same delusional perceptions as do parents at sporting events; they think their kid is the best.

I have learned a lot during my dance recitals attendance experiences. Yawn and mumble between dances when lights are dimmed.  Sit near exit and be prepared to 'book' when YOUR granddaughter has completed her final routine. Applause should be polite for all performances.

I must remind myself that since suffering from hearing loss, I talk louder than normal. I must stifle snide comments. The best thing about dance recitals...Fifties music is re-discovered. The worst thing about dance recitals...mommies will give bouquets to little four year old girls and grandparents will add gifts while everyone takes pictures. This means I will be attending my 32nd recital.

No comments:

Post a Comment