Tuesday, June 30, 2015

It Happened Just That Way !

Last week, I picked up a few items at Lowe's and since my auto was parked just outside the garden-area, I elected to check out there. The young female cashier rang up the prices and said that I owed $47.11. I pulled out my check book and requested a pen. The cashier matter-of-factory said, "I don't have a pen." She stared at me for a moment seemingly to indicate that the burden was on me. When I did not respond, she asked the next gentleman in the checkout line, "Do you have a pen?" He indicated he did not and turned to go elsewhere to check out.

After several moments of the continued stare-standoff with the cashier, I pushed my shopping cart to the side and walked to the parking lot. I was going to retrieve a pen from my automobile. I re-entered the garden area only to find several people in the checkout line. I left the area and went to the customer service desk. I explained the garden area 'no pen' /I don't care dilemma. The four people at the service desk simply glanced at each other as if to hope someone in their midst had a customer-friendly response...none was forthcoming. I paid at the service desk and as I turned to leave, one clerk said, "If you are leaving through the garden area would you consider giving your pen to the cashier?" Folks, I could not make up such crap!!

My point is this: The customer waits upon self, gathers merchandise and brings it to a rather disinterested party who expects the customer to place items on a conveyor, bag items, show identification when writing a check and produce a pen with which to write.

Generally speaking, 'service sucks!'

No comments:

Post a Comment