Friday, June 26, 2015

R*E*S*P*E*C*T

'One's perception is one's reality.' That concept appears irrefutable. This mindset is an anchor found in all prejudicial attitudes. It works like this...one develops (learned behavior) attitudes based on and supported by a set of beliefs. The pivotal point, which ultimately demonstrates prejudice occurs when one's belief is proven incorrect but that individual refuses to accept that proof and 'grabs' another belief that will support the continued prejudicial attitude. (Note: Talk to one of your racial-prejudice friends (we have one or two) and test the hypothesis.)

Some 'beliefs' overtime become urban myths. Let me explain. Approximately seventeen years ago, my wife and I moved to Decatur, Illinois. Many friends and some family members questioned our move suggesting that Decatur was crime ridden and thus unsafe. During this time period, I have noticed a fair share of crime in our new home city. That said, I always felt that Decatur was getting a bad rap on this crime issue.

A recent study appears to support my suspion and vindicate Decatur. Following is a list of the top ten most dangerous Illinois cities; the list was created  by taking each city's violent crime rate number per 100,000. Violent crimes were murder, rape, robberies, and aggravated assault.                                    10. Decatur 9. Bloomington 8. Peoria 7. Champaign  6. Springfield 5. Danville 4. Rockford                3. Carbondale  2. Harvey 1. East St. Louis.

Considering the fact that my wife and I were both born and raised in East St. Louis and now live in Decatur, I'm feeling like 'The Jeffersons;' "We're moving on up to the East Side to a delux apartment in the sky..."

No comments:

Post a Comment