Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Burning Tears from a Longing Heart

I awoke from a dream one night last week with my eyes burning and tears on my cheeks. I was startled and confused as I attempted to gain my bearings and sift through groggy thoughts trying to make sense of the moment.

It was a dream about my youth and the parts were beginning to fall into order. The time was the mid-1940's. My Dad was serving in our military. Me, my younger brother and Mom were living in the little 'brown' house on the 1610 Kingshighway property owned by my maternal grandparents E.V. & Mary Bennett. There were three homes on that property plus an attached grocery store on the front of one home. E.V. had been a carpenter in his younger days and ended up with his own little revenue driving homestead.

The dream came clearly into light. Mother had just gotten the delivered mail and became so excited. There was a hard-cover small brown envelop. I knew immediately the contents. Inside would be a small record with the voice of my father. Mom's hands were trembling as she carefully opened the envelop and removed the record. She place the record on the player and the scratchy sounds began:
'The Pepsi Cola Company is proud to bring the voice of your service man in the armed forces.' And then I heard my Dad's voice, "Hi, Lou...that's the moment I awakened with those burning tears.

Back then, I prayed that my Daddy would not be killed; that he'd come home. Those prayers were answered. Today, I pray a thankful prayer for those wonderful years shared. I also pray for the safety of those who serve in the Armed Forces today.

I do note that tears of a grown man burn the same as those of a child.

If you're ever near Decatur, stop by for a backyard swing visit...we'll have a Pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment