Wednesday, September 30, 2015

You Got That Boy?

A few weeks ago, I was interviewed by a Northern Illinois prep sports' writer who was doing an article about youth sports; the good and the bad...so he said. His question for me centered on what cautionary notes I would give to parents of young athletes.

Before I share with you my comments, let me tell you that my answers and expressed opinions are not the result of two college degrees, thirty-nine years teaching/coaching or all the experiences from that journey. My comments to the sports' writer came via a man with but a ninth grade education.

The year was 1954. I was seated at our family's supper table. I was complaining to my parents that I thought my high school baseball coach should have me pitching for the varsity team...not the sophomore team. My father put his fork down and looking directly into face began to speak, "Let me tell you something boy, I never bring my work problems to this dinner table nor does your mother. If you don't like some situation with your baseball or basketball play then I suggest you do something to 'change' the situation. Your mother will have a warm supper for you each night and I'll provide a roof over your head. We'll do those things because we love you no matter what you do in sports."

And now my comments to the scribe: "I would encourage parents to be supportive of their son or daughter's sports play but make sure that they (parents) are encouraging the youngster to take ownership in the commitment made because it is their commitment. Secondly, I would warn parents to be cognizant of the danger in allowing their child to permit sport play to define the kid's self-worth. The young athlete can be the 'star' or a seldom used reserve; the team can win a lot or lose a lot...none of these factors alter self-worth. Don't blame others for your circumstance and enjoy sports' play while you can because one day you must go to work and evidently you'll have problems."

No comments:

Post a Comment