Sunday, September 6, 2015

Hold My Hand; I'm a Stranger in Paradise

I believe one reason that earthly life is not infinite is over time society and its people's behavior becomes so bizarre and strange looking that the elderly are simply out of 'place.' I understand that fashions, folkways and mores change over generations but many recent behaviors seem closely connected to unfamiliar attitudes, which are foreign to me. Let me offer three behaviors now acceptable, which was out of the realm of yesterday's thinking.

Womb-to-Room Mentality: Overtime the public (not parochial) schools have become 'responsible' for child care earlier in the child's life and that includes before and after the ordinarily acceptable school hours. There is no defensible logic to support this parental expectation. Couples should plan families predicated on their ability to take care of children with regards to time and finances. This should NOT be the teachers and tax payers' burden.

Extended Maternity Leave for Dad: Give me a break! A couple has nine months to plan for postnatal care. The birth of a child should not result in a family vacation. Perhaps a three day, Dad-around-the-house period is reasonable, however if the child and Mommy are healthy then Dad needs to go to work...he has a two-fold responsibility: (1) His employer and (2) His growing family. Military men don't get time off for births; why should others?

Peoples' Public Presentation (Attire): I see more public-bared-skin today than once seen at a 1954 burlesque show. Today's partial-nudity is less appealing due to numerous tattoos and piercings. Many Men wear hats in restaurants today...some men have their hair pulled back into a bun. Everywhere everyone is preoccupied with self-absorbed Internet engagement or text messaging. I suspect some people will go through life having never executed a handwritten letter.  Today's clothing attire and folks chosen isolation into self coincides with society's new mantra> Me, Me, Me !

It appears that my generation is surrounded by a new breed; 'amoralist'...people who are indifferent to previous moral and social standards. They are not to blame; I'm just hanging around longer...I am the 'Stranger in Paradise.'

One final illustration. My grandmother would have had a heart attack and our mothers a tizzy-fit had my wife and I not married but simply lived together......
I'll close with that thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment