Saturday, September 26, 2015

Spread Offense, My Butt !

My sport-playing and coaching philosophy was simple: When its your turn; give it your all then walk away satisfied. I did that as a player and I did that as a coach. I have avoided second-guessing other coaches, (not withstanding managers of my beloved Cardinals).  I have stayed completely away from my coaching successors.  This said, I have attempted to keep thoughts to myself thus avoiding the mantle of the 'old coach being critical of the current game.'

With the aforementioned in mind, I make no apologies for these observations: Recently, a sport news article suggested that a newly embraced high school football offense, 'the spread' is creating a nightmare for defensive coaches.' I simply don't accept that premise. It appears to me that most sports' offenses benefit from the following: Rules changes, I.e., football protection of quarterback, must keep hands off receivers and dumbing-down tackle techniques for concussion fears. The we have baseball:  baseball lowers the pitcher's mound giving distinct advantage to hitter. The basketball rules manipulators give us the 3-point shot while ignoring 'traveling' for the purpose of giving advantage to the scorer.

Aside from rules changes there is a subliminal message, which has promoted 'softness of play.' Anytime feelings of entitlement gain a foothold, you will notice a loss of intense effort; we are there as a society. Entitlement is common place with youth 'equal play' mentality and parent coddling.

In 1964, my Mason City players would fight one another to pick up a charging foul to impress the coach. My last year coaching (2001) my Decatur players avoided that defensive technique at all expense hoping to block the opponent's shot. I attend high school football games and note more arm-tackling than ever.

As a kid growing up in East St. Louis (1950's), I recall a plethora of sandlot games of (tackle) football, baseball and basketball. Today, I see those blacktop hoop games in inner city neighborhoods but nowhere else. I notice occasional sandlot soccer games but never the tackle football or baseball games.

I am afraid that we have become a society that wishes to over-indulge and take a diet-pill to address our obesity. Likewise, we'd wish to have a coach 'make' us a skilled athletic performer. Years ago, my wife and I purchased a rather expensive piano for our two young girls. We paid for lessons. Our adult girls don't play. They don't play because they did not practice. I'm going to stop here and telephone Kanoski. If that piano teacher is still alive, we might be able to sue her.

No comments:

Post a Comment