Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Not a Complaint but an Observation

Getting older is not fun. Okay, let me pause and make this comment: I am thankful for the seventy-six years I have experienced and certainly, I have been richly blessed with health, family and friends. That does not change the fact that getting older is not fun. Understand that...
most of my family members;  grandparents, parents, aunts/uncles and several cousins have died. I find myself on occasion reaching for my telephone thinking (momentarily) that I will call someone only to stop in my tracks as I realize that someone is gone. I attend class reunions to reminisce with fewer friends, those reunions once filled with gaiety are now bitter-sweet.

I look at yard tasks and once matter-of-fact chores that required perhaps a two hour commitment, which now takes five hours due to needed rest-breaks. Some chores and tasks of yesterday are hired out to neighborhood lads. I cannot do those jobs any longer.

My dedication through the years to 'stay fit' with exercise, running and power walking to avoid family tendencies of heart problems may have been beneficial in the short term but now I must pay a different 'Piper,' called 'Arthur,' as in Osteoarthritis. My hips and knees 'bark' at me day and night. My hearing is dependent upon 'AIDS.'

I continue to do sport education consultant work because it makes me 'think' about something other than body aches and what's for dinner. About 120 people take the time to read my daily blog, therefore I pretend that there are folks out there depending on me to state the reasonable and unreasonable.

I must stop now and 'post' these thoughts. Toy Poodle, Yodie is standing in front of my chair, growling and 'raking' his hind leg. He wants me to take him outside and sit on a backyard swing that gets full morning sun...it feels good to his bones...mine TOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment