Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Blessed to have Shared

My wife and I traveled to Mason City, Illinois yesterday to visit with long time friends, Nash and Darlene Shawgo. The Shawgos have been dear friends since my coaching days in Mason City (1964 through 1967). I have always said that the Mason City basketbal coaching position was my biggest career break. Mason City was a community of dedicated players, avid fans and a deep winning tradition.

Nash and Darlene were established local folks who lived directly behind our Tonica Street home. Darlene was very close and helpful with the birth of baby Dawn in 1965. Nash was one of those crazy high school basketball fans and on more than one occasion when hazardous Mason County winter roadways made it problematic to scout an opponent, Nash fired up his propane truck and took Coach Roustio on that scouting trip. Nash also owned a local appliance store. When the Roustios needed a new refrigerator, Nash found one in his store that he could 'discount' because it just happened to have a scratch and dent thus allowing him to apply for the manufacturer's discount.

Through the years, we would occasionally hook up with the Shawgos for a luncheon. Recently, Darlene's Alzheimer's worsened making those get togethers more difficult. This past Sunday evening Nash and Darlene's oldest son, Brian telephoned to tell us his dad's cancer had aggressively invaded his bones. His journey is near its end.

Gerry and I had a two hour visit with Nash and Darlene, Monday. Nash was alert but uncomfortable even with the heavy morphine dose. Darlene occasionally recognized Gerry but never made the connection with me.

Left alone for thirty minutes, Nash and I remminisced a bit but talked extensively about his circumstance. He was a blessing for me because his spiritual strength is profound. Before we departed, Nash and I prayed as Gerry, Darlene and Brian locked hands with us.

Driving out of Mason City heading towards Lincoln, I had flash back moments of the laughter and wonderful times shared with Nash, Gene Blessman and Bud Jones who were nearby neighbor's and great supporters of the Coach. Gene and Bud are gone and Nash is nearing the end. I hurt inside. The high school is no longer Mason City high school but Illini Central high, which is a consolidated district. The school colors and mascot are but a memory recall as are this old coach's buddies.

I did live a richer life for having those fellas in that life...I thank you,God.

No comments:

Post a Comment