Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Stupid IS What Stupid DOES.

Last week, I received a post card from the Macon County Courthouse, which informed me that I am designated as a prospective juror. The instructions were simple. I was to telephone Macon County Courthouse within five (5) days to complete my registration. Embracing my propensity to 'do it NOW,' I telephoned immediately as if I'd get a good grade before I sentenced someone to prison.

My phone call was answered by a programmed computer voice. Twelve minutes later after punching numbers on my phone-keypad, I was kosher with the courts. My telephone work-exercise reminded me of the plethora of stuff we now do as American citizens, which reduces the employment of neighbor's and lines the pockets of a select few.

Aside from pumping our own gasoline, we peruse grocery store aisles for food, take it to the self-checkout line where we scan, bag and pay. If we shop on line (reducing retail stores employment opportunities) we once again spend our time working as a clerk as we spend our money.

A few days past, I had an appointment with a urologist. The night before, I received a telephone call from the physician's office at 7 PM just as The Big Bang Theory was coming on, I was not happy. You got it...it was an automated telephone message. I was told where and when to report. Also, most importantly, I was informed that the urologist would not look at me should I not have a photo ID along with insurance card. As the automated voice gave instructions it also required me to punch numbers assuring the computer machine that I was understanding the commands.

When I showed up at the Doctor's office the receptionist opened a glass sliding door and pointed to a nearby computer screen on a stand telling me I was to self-register. I quickly and firmly informed her that I came to this place for 'service' not employment...she quickly realized that I was a different breed.

We are fools!

No comments:

Post a Comment