Wednesday, December 2, 2015

He's My Best Buddy

James Wilkerson Yoder is seven years old today. Oh, excuse me, that is my eight pound Toy Poodle, 'Yodie.'

I can tell scrolling Facebook entries that the American people are crazy dog lovers. Those who don't care for dogs are just crazy.

I have had a dog my entire life. The first dog I called mine was actually my mothers dog when she was a teenager. 'Pal' was a medium size mixed breed. A lovable dog. I could take you to the spot where Grandpa E.V. Bennett buried that old dog. My wife and I have held too many old dogs that were 'put-down' due to various irreversible health issues. Hope I don't have to do that again.

As a young boy, I remember talking to my dogs when we were alone. I don't do that these days; I talk to Yodie ALL the time regardless if alone or in a crowd. One of my daughters said that I treat Yodie better than I treated my kids...never did understand the point she was making.

 I have never been good training dogs. Once I house break them I stop bugging my dogs. Yodie, however has done a good job training me. I know what a soft growl means vs. a deep growl and a right rear leg 'raking' has a different meaning than a left rear leg 'rake.' I'll tell you something else about Yodie...he defines unconditional love.

Who ever said, "Dog is man's best friend" was right on! Happy birthday, little buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment