Monday, July 18, 2016

Hands Down...The Best Love Song

My East St. Louis high school graduating class of 1957, has held a Class Reunion every five (5) years. Next year, we will assemble (God willing) for our 60th anniversary...oh, my! Talk about some old farts.

As I recall reflecting on those early class reunions, the fellas had a good 'dapper-looking run' for reunions 5-10-15 while the ladies were fighting the physical and mental onslaught of child bearing and work. Then beginning with reunion #20, the gals started making 'Dolly's Back-In-Town' come back looks and the cool cat fellas were loosing their hair and letting their trousers out a couple of inches.

My wife graduated one year behind me and her class has also kept up a five year reunion pace. I particularly enjoy her reunion equally as well as mine. She attended an all girls Catholic school, which reunion-co-ops with an all boys Catholic school. Since all those Catholic kiddos went to several different grade school Parishes in our city of 85,000. When the reunion photo call for each Parish is offered, I slip into most photos sessions. I know, I know, I'm the uncouth 'Protestant outsider' that rustled away the best-looking from their flock.

At one of my wife's class reunions, I was asked by their organizing committee to DJ the Reunion. With over 600 classic 45's, 259 LP's and an untold CD count, I could cover such a program. I remember during that evening, I received many love song requests. I was delighted to oblige. Near the evening's end when most people's 'glow' was resembling zombie-like expressions, someone shouted out, "Hey, Roustio...let's hear the song that you THINK is the greatest love song of all times. I immediately cued up Carly Simon's rendition of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." There was some loud laughter from the crowd along with a boo or two. If asked the question today or next year and I'll state the case again, "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." I ask you, close your eyes right this moment and recall, if you will, the look on a young child's face when you ever sang that song showing the accompanying hand movements...you remember the excited joy in that trusting and believing face? I stand by my love song choice..."The Itsy Bitsy Spider." Post Script: Circumstances prohibits me from walks down my East St. Louis memory lanes. Therefore, I do the next best thing. Between those reunions, I telephone old classmates just to check in and let them know that I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment