Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Passing Emotion

When I awoke two mornings ago, I had a very selfish thought...more on that later.

In 1964, my wife, Gerry and I with three year-old son, Steve moved to Mason City, Illinois where I assumed my first varsity basketball coaching job. One of the first families I met was the Jones family from whom we rented a house on Tonica Street across the road from Bud & Mary Jane Jones, catty-corner from Gene & Wilma Blessman and directly behind Nash & Darlene Shawgo. Bud, Nash and Gene would become close friends of the new coach and certainly Gerry and I enjoyed a couple relationship with each.

The Jones were Mason City basketball fans and Bud was born ready...always upbeat! Nash Shawgo was also a Mason City basketball fan and a staunch Chicago Cubs fan. Gene Blessman kept many things private but not his love for his Cubbies' or the Mason City Huskies and his enjoyment to 'stir-the-pot.' The first meeting with Gene Blessman happened when he walked into my yard while I was cutting the grass shorty after moving in.  He introduced himself and said, "I understand that you are a Cardinals fan and a registered Democrat." He continued, "Now, you do know that Shawgo and I are Cubs fans and your landlord, Mary Jane is the Mason County Republican Chairperson?" I Answered, "That's good to know." He then said in his dry-deadpan demeanor, "Coach, Roustio,  I suggest your best win a lot of basketball games." I kid you not, he turned and walked away. Funniest damn introductory meeting I have ever experienced. Gerry and I remained dear friends with all three of those families until this day.

Now for that selfish thought: When I woke up that morning, I thought, 'I sure wish I was starting over today in Mason City and meeting the Joneses, Blessmans and Shawgos.' Bud Jones, Nash Shawgo and Gene Blessman have departed this journey. I sure do miss the bantering with them. However, I know as Bud, Gene and Nash knew that life longs for itself...it's like the Amtrak...it makes periodic stops and some passengers get off and new riders board. I'm just grateful my seat was near so many terrific people.

No comments:

Post a Comment