Monday, January 9, 2017

You May Wish to Consider

I have spent several weeks in my downstairs office. My mission was to review some 500 cassette tapes of my morning radio program on WLDS Jacksonville, Illinois. That 'Mornings with Mel,' program aired from 1994- to-1998. The four hour daily show featured '50's & '60's music along with topic-driven listener 'call-in' conversations. The tapes exist because my wife had the foresight to tape those shows.

As I reviewed the tapes before 'burning' them onto CD's, I found myself reliving many fun moments with regular call-in listeners. Obviously, the great amount of time spent in that office area surrounded with a plethora of extrinsic items and photos hanging from walls permitted me to have other flashback recollections. There in that cubicle are numerous commemorative plaques, commendation notations and terrific team pictures; some of which I was a player most of which I was the coach. I found myself looking into the faces of former teammates and my former players and recalling relationship moments. At some point, I felt a confirmation of my philosophy; a philosophy that I embraced and continue to preach to my grandchildren this very day:

'If you wish to find true happiness in this life, 'do' that for which you hold a strong passion and find ways to connect with and serve others.' It's not rocket science.

This philosophy has made me 'rich' in a joyous non-fluctuating spiritual currency.

No comments:

Post a Comment