Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Way it Was

This 'rant' is neither a boast or criticism. It is a simple acknowledgement that my life was different than that of my grandchildren...maybe good...maybe not so good, I'll let readers decide.

Over the years, I ate candy, white bread, real butter, bacon, canned tuna, blue cheese and drank soda and whole milk; not to forget egg salad sandwiches that sat in my metal, non-air conditioned school for four hours before lunch.  As a baby, my mother placed me on my tummy in a crib painted with bright colors of lead-based paint. My folks never locked doors or cabinets and they never heard of childproof bottles.

As a pre-teen, I hitchhiked to my little league games or rode a bike. I did not wear a biking or batting helmet. Our youth teams had 'tryouts' and some kids did not 'make' the team while some who did played very little...it appeared the 'score' dictated various playing situations...yes, we kept score!
Imagine that, we had to deal with disappointment. I recall riding in the front seat of the car without a restraining belt. I often rode in the back of pickup trucks.

In the summer time, I always played outside. I ate cup cakes, drank from neighbors' garden hoses and drank too many bottles of Pepsi with peanuts poured into. Considering all the 'junk' food consumed, I can only guess that child obesity was not my generation's issue because we were playing outside, everyday non-stop. I left the house on a summer morning and perhaps showed up for lunch but likely didn't make it back until the supper hour. There was not cell phone calls or texting to check on my whereabouts. I had no sophisticated toys. On a rainy day, I enjoyed flipping through my baseball-cards as I played an imaginary game on my 'homemade spinner.'

I never heard of lawsuits but I did experience spankings and my parents 'siding' with the law and school teachers. I grew up taking risks, accepting responsibilities and owning my failures. I pursued personal success and service to others. Would I do anything differently in a 'do over' chance? Sure...hindsight is 20/20. Would I trade my experiences with another (younger) generation...absolutely NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment