Thursday, January 26, 2017

Heroes, I've had many

Every individual I've come to interact with has impacted my life; some in positives ways others in negative ways. Persons demonstrating traits of courage, achievement and/or noble qualities, we call 'heroes.' I can say without reservation, I have had many ''heroes' intersect my journey. My parents qualify as they were both teachers and role models of integrity, work ethic, principles and common decency. My maternal grandmother (Mammy) anchored the Christian foundation. A less than comprehensive list of 'heroes' come immediately to mind.

Little League baseball coach, Mr. Spickard was the first to equate the parallels of sport competition to life challenges. High School coach, Pick Dehner put me on a pathway to a free college education and career choice. Ray Sonnenberg (YMCA Director for whom I was a teen counselor one summer) introduced me to the most basic interpersonal skills. He also explified Rudyard Kiplig's line, "Or walk with Kings-nor lose the common touch." College basketball coach Dr. James Collie instilled the methods/process of preparation.

My wife, Gerry has demonstrated throughout our 56- married years selflessness, sacrifice, understanding, forgiveness, support and work-companionship. She has been that confidant-companion who lifts low spirits and humbles foolish pride.

My brother, Tom (4-years my junior) two years ago faced a life/death decision. His very damaged heart could promise nothing. Tom chose to undergo an 8-hour open heart surgery, which placed an artificial heart-pump in his chest. He is one tough guy.

Mulling over that which I have just shared, the thought occurs to me (and perhaps you), we can only hope that we might appear on another's hero list.


No comments:

Post a Comment