Monday, January 30, 2017

Be Ready

I am not sure 'why' but I'm just cut that way. I have always had the propensity to anticipate the 'worst' that can happen. Perhaps in my deep psyche, I have some foolish notion that looking for the worst scenarios somehow renders 'better' outcomes. Then maybe, I have this inner mechanism that prepares me to deal with all scenarios. The bottom line is this: If it bothered me to the point of paralyzing my functioning abilities, I would have sought professional help. It has not...to the contrary.

Actually, I found this personality trait to be a positive as a high school basketball coach. When preparing teams for opponents, I thoroughly scouted the rival and then began orchestrating a game plan (through practice), which anticipated every possible defense we might face and how we would counter any negatives. This 'considering' the worst not only helped in preparation and execution but it bode well psychologically with players as they felt we were 'ready' for anything.

I mention the above not because I hope the right government officials are anticipating the worst possible scenarios. Let me explain. We have already witnessed several large protest and demonstrations in response to President Trump's various comments and executive orders. Folks, you don't have to be real smart to come to the conclusion that the coming 'good weather' coupled with the unrest and unhappiness of American masses along with the unpredictability of this President presents perfect conditions for ugly events. I fear some protests and demonstrations could escalate out of control and produce ugly American streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment