Thursday, May 10, 2018

As If I Cared.

Sipping my McDonald's 'senior coffee' while waiting to meet a book and graphics designer, I overheard two ladies talking about various Decatur shopping experiences. One lady was adamant regarding her boycott of one particular store because she said, "That store hires too many gay people." My first thought was holy crap, I shop that store frequently and the sexual orientation of the employees never entered my mind.

My, my, I suppose I've been guilty of some type of shoppers' negligence. Instead of looking for product value and personal tastes, I evidently should be concerning myself with sexuality preferences of the store clerks, cashiers and stock boys. This opens up a whole mess of service people worries, which apparently places me in some peril because some folks ain't ' he'n and she'n but instead they are he'n and he' or she's and she'n.

I must now know the sexual orientation of the restaurant cook, hostess, waiter and dishwasher. Oh goodness, do I dare board a plane with a gay pilot at the helm? I must wonder and worry about a Muslim or lesbian making Hardee's biscuits & gravy. When I have surgery procedures should I concern myself with whom the anesthetist slept with the previous night?

Several years ago, a former basketball player whom I coached informed me that one of his teammates back then was gay. I said, "Really? The kid sure was a bad-ass bounder for us that season!"

Perhaps our society should adopt Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'Scarlett Letter' philosophy. In his novel, 'The Scarlett Letter' the main character, Hester Prynne gives birth to a child by another man other than her husband. Her punishment was wearing clothing in public with the red letter 'A' indicating 'adulteress.'

I don't care! I don't care about others' personal preferences in life just as long as they don't infringe upon my personal preferences. I do care if one publicly flaunts sexual preferences whether they be heterosexual or homosexual. And I do care if one publicly talks vulgar about sexual experiences. Aside from those two conditions feel free to float your own boat. Meanwhile, I would ask you to pray for me; I regularly watch Ellen DeGeneres and Anderson Cooper.
(Touch)
If I Didn't Care

No comments:

Post a Comment