Monday, May 14, 2018

Thinking of Mother

My mother, Lucille Vickers Roustio died at age 93, five and a half years ago. She gave birth to three sons: Mel (79), Tom (74) and Marty (63). I loved and respected both my mother and father, as did my brothers. No doubt it was my father who had the greatest impact upon my life but it was my mother who as my greatest gift while my wife, Gerry is my greatest love.

In a moment of reflection, I share:

    THE GREATEST GIFT of LIFE

I sought her in all times of need,
A broken heart or skinned up knee.

She would comfort making all okay,
She eased my pain and sent me to play.
.
The years rolled by and challenges grew large,
My mother stood near to lead every charge.

"Big boys don't cry," I was told in the day,
Thankful my mother would show the way.

Bonding with my father was special indeed,
Yet assurance from mom was always my need.

Life unfolded and a sweetheart I would find,
Mother approved and loved from behind.

Life became busy with career and care,
Still often with mother I'd find time to share.

Little notes and messages she sent my way,
Still I read and cherish this very day.

Note:
I dearly miss hearing my mother's voice. It was a rather deep voice and sometimes a bit raspy. She had an infectious laugh so distinct. I recall as a very young child falling asleep in a nearby room while listening to her soothing voice in conversation with my father or visiting friends. Late in her life, I often telephoned her two or three times a day. I would like to claim that I did so to help 'make' her day, however I confess I did so to 'make' my day.

To those readers whose mothers are still living, I hope that you seek opportunities to embrace this wonderful gift. If your mother has departed this earthly journey, I hope for you precious memories.
(Touch)
Precious Mothers

No comments:

Post a Comment