Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Speak O' Lord

While walking and praying recently, I wondered if God might someday speak to me; you know, the way others say God spoke to them. Every once in awhile some preacher fella will claim that God told him to tell others to do something...the something usually appears to 'send the preacher some money.'

The good book tells the story about the time God spoke to Noah and told Noah to build a boat. As a kid, I liked hearing that story over and over. My favorite modern day 'God spoke to me story' is the time Preacher Oral Roberts told his followers that God spoke to him and said he needed to raise a certain amount of money will hon a defined time period or Oral would die. Now that had to be a stressful chat. In the past, I sent Oral money and he sent me a piece of tiny rope that was tied in a knot...wasn't good for anything. This plea from Oral for money didn't move me, besides Oral looked sick anyway. Well, the allotted time passed and Oral fell short of the money amount God told him he needed to raise...Oral didn't die. This means one of two things: Either Oral lied about the God-conversation or God gave Oral an extension.

I get a bit angry when politicians tell me that God spoke to them. Like the time President George W.  told reporters he spoke to his Father in Heaven before bombing Iraq. That kinda suggests that God 'signed off' on that mission...I don't like that implication at all!

I must stop my writing at this moment. I just heard a voice from above call my name. The voice was strong and deep. It said, "Come get this laundry basket and take the dog out!" My master has spoken...at least the earthly one.
(Touch)
Speak O' Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment