Monday, May 7, 2018

If I Had My Way

This past Saturday mid-afternoon and I had finished planting several tomato plants when I realized I needed some additional tomato 'stakes.' I was tired from yard work and an early morning 2-mile walk. I was dirty, sweaty and wanted to get a shower and sit a spell. With rain and winds fore casted, I made a quick run to Lowe's for the 'stakes.'

The perfect weather seemed to have motivated many people to engage garden and yard-work projects as evidenced by the long checkout lines in Lowe's Garden area. I moved into line behind a gentleman perhaps in his late 80's who was negotiating his pull cart of plants towards the cashier. The gent appeared anxious as he kept looking back over his shoulder as if he'd lost something or was waiting for somebody. Finally, he spoke to me, "You can go ahead of me, I've got to help my wife." The man very slowly shuffled in small steps towards a woman bent over at the waist who was holding on to a shopping cart. The woman was extremely frail with a pale complexion and struggling to keep her balance as if she was walking on icy pavement.

Several nearby customers had their eyes glued on the couple as they attempted to make their way back to their goods in the checkout line. I helped the man move his cart closer to the cashier and  while he paid, I stood nearby his trebling wife fearing she may fall. As I stood there, I suddenly realized I was not so tired, I was not in such a great hurry and I felt a blessing.  I was witnessing two physically compromised elderly people demonstrating an incredible courageous spirit. They had purchased several beautiful plants, which I assume they had done for many previous springs during their long loving relationship. In their advanced years and fighting the ravages of age, they refused to abandon that joy. As I walked to my auto, I observed a young male Lowe's worker loading the old couple's auto while two other Lowe's workers flanked the couple to assist their balance as they slowly made their way.

I sat for a spell before starting my auto and whispered a prayer for comforting grace upon the couple and a thankfulness for witnessing such a special loving moment.
(Touch)
If I Had My Way

No comments:

Post a Comment