Friday, May 4, 2018

So Blessed

Recently, I checked into Decatur Memorial Hospital as an out-patient for my fourth endoscopy procedure in the past three and a half years. The first was to address symptoms, which confirmed ulcers, which have been successfully medicated. A follow up 'peek' checking those ulcers disclosed a tumor in the small intestines, which proved to be benign but needed removal and monitoring. Six months following removal of that polyp revealed benign biopsies; game plan was a one year later endoscopy, which went down last week and still suggests that all is 'clean.' Praise God for healing grace. Praise God for a skilled pro-active gastroenterologist.

How do I process these on-going blessings? I'm allowed to 'hang-around' at age 79 for something more than soaking up blessings and personal pleasures...I must seek ways and opportunities to serve others as my Lord commanded in Matthew 25:40 "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for the least of my brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

On the lighter side of a hospital procedure moment, follow this patient-doctor exchange:
Before the endoscopy procedure the gastroenterologist walked into my room...

Doctor: "Good morning Mel, how are you doing?" (Hand shake)
Mel: "I feeling pretty good Doc, how are you doing?"
Doctor: "Ah, I'm a little shaky this morning...but hopefully it will go away soon."

Enter the endoscopy procedure room>

Mel: "Hi folks. Everybody awake and washed their hands?"
Voices: "Yes on the hand wash...no on the awake part."
Mel: " I'm a Cardinals' fan, how many Cardinals' fans in the room?" (3-of-4 hands go up)
Fourth lady walks to my gurney and speaks: "I'm a Cubs' fan and I am also your anesthetist. You want to give me a Go Cubbies?"
Mel: "GO CUBBIES!"
(Touch)
Why Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment