Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Why Not?

My church should take a cue from that coffee shop chain. Let me elaborate with greater in-depth reasoning:

Perhaps you recall several weeks past when a Philadelphia Starbucks Coffee Store was the scene of a racial incident when an employee called police to have two black men removed from the premise because they were waiting for a friend and had not ordered anything. Well as imagined the 'poo-poo-hit-the-fan.' This resulted in a potentially profit killing public relations problem for the nationwide over-priced java chain. In response, Starbucks closed down their eight-thousand-plus stores for four hours yesterday afternoon for racial sensitivity training sessions for employees. Hallelujah! Starbucks held that oft spoken about but never done 'conversation on race relations.' Gave me an idea. Why doesn't my United Methodist Church have a nationwide race conversation? Come to think of it you Catholics, Baptists, Presbyterians, Seventh Day Adventists, Jews, Muslims, Church of Christ, Church of God, Assembly of God, Christian Church. Holy Rollers, and Church of The What's Up should ALL join the race relations conversation.

First, you must accept the following parameters: 1) Once each month the church pastors must conduct a service specifically on racial issues, myths, misconceptions and discrimination. 2) Audience participation is encouraged...it's a 'conversation' folks where we learn from idea exchanges! 3) Every church must have a 'sister-church' and thus engage in a 'parishioner-exchange-program,' i.e. Student-exchange programs similar to one American high school swapping students with a German high school. In other words: We will send you six whites for six blacks, three Jews for three Muslims...you got the idea?

Now, I don't want to upset those staunch conservative Evangelicals who gobbledygook about abortion and say nothing about capital punishment. I dare not suggest that your church change its mission statement of glorious desires, nope! I'm just suggesting that each month we who claim to be believers get out of the pews and into the trenches where we embrace one common mission: 'Understand and Love Our Brothers and Sisters Who Look Differently and Worship Differently than do we.' Wouldn't that be a novel Evangelical idea?

I know, I know! This will never happen because I'm so damn insecure about 'me' that I am fearful if I associate with you I'll begin thinking like 'YOU.' And God forbid we start mixin' races and bar-b-q sauce recipes! And besides...'remember the Sabbath to keep it segregated.'
(Touch)
He's My Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment