Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Go South Young Man...Go South!

Other than a couple of cruises 🚢 to the Central America's and a short trip into Canada, I've not traveled outside the USA. I've always thought that going back to Europe was reverse-migration and an affront to the sacrifices of my ancesters. Besides, I feel about traveling abroad as I do about going up into the St. Louis Arch. Sure enough, I'd do those things, end up leaving something of value there and then have to go back...I wish to avoid a that.

I have traveled somewhat to extensively in the United States, although there are still many places I'd like to embrace. I've seen the magnificent Western mountains,  canyons and Badlands. The Eastern part of our nation overwhelms with historic significance. The Northern States offer Great Lakes beauty and neat vacation spots. The South has a unique quaintness. Without question, I have traveled most frequently into our Southern States.

The South has various distinctions with regional definition. We talk about the Deep South, The Mid-South and The Border States' South. I suppose my attraction to The South is primarily driven by temperature...I love warm weather...the hotter the better. As a young boy, show me a hot sweaty day when I could get dirty on a baseball sandlot-field and I was one happy lad.

Over the years, I've identified characteristics that suggest one 'going deeper' into The South:
 1). More bumper stickers about God, Guns & Trump & fewer bumper stickers about 'honor roll kids.'
 2). Confederate Flags waving from pickup beds.
 3). Convenient Stores with chewing tobacco displays next to the 'live bait' tubs.
 4). Cheaper and cheaper dental implant billboard ads.
 5). All newborns are given two-names i.e., Billy Ray, Bobby Joe, Emmy Lou or Katie Jean.
 6). Chickens oft times considered as pets. Chickens all the time are more road savvy than people.
 7). The 5-second rule for food dropped to the floor is similar to the two-hour road kill rule.
 8). Home schooling means the family reads the National Enquirer.
 9). Vehicles parked in the front yard is common place...some even 'run.'
10). Tractor tires are never thrown away...they become swings and flower planters.
11). A gutted-dressed-out deer hangs proudly from a front yard tree.
12). Grits is served in all restaurants with every meal.

(Touch)
The South

No comments:

Post a Comment