Friday, January 4, 2019

Spare Me The Hyperbole...Blowhard

My father, Melvin Pershing Roustio was married with two young sons when drafted to serve in World War II at age 26. His two-year stint was under the leadership of General George Patton. My dad was unwilling to share much about his war experiences. He did tell me that a good friend of his serving in the same platoon was killed in a night-fight and it was a heartbreaking moment seeing his body at daylight.

I also remember vividly, my parents saying that the first Republican President they ever voted for was General Dwight D. Eisenhower and their stated reasoning was their belief that a military man would keep their sons from war because military men know the atrocities of war. In retrospect, I can undeniably state that the World War II experiences profoundly affected my father. How he comported himself as a husband, father, citizen and his philosophies and beliefs were altered if not molded by those combat sights and expectations.

I have lamented before that my father preached certain non-negotiable posturing to his oldest son. I cannot speak for my two younger brothers. I was to show my mother unwavering respect and  obedience. Likewise, I was to assume a respectful attitude around adults. Given a chore or job, I was expected to do it 'his' way. I was told if I didn't like the way things were in my own world, i.e. school or sports, I was not to bring the problem to the kitchen table but do something to change things. I was told time and time again that people (teammates) don't like a 'goldbrick' or slacker. I was also cautioned not to 'run-off' at the mouth. "Don't get the big-head with your accomplishments, what you've done has been done by others and some did more," he would say. And frequently, he'd warn me,  "Hey boy, when out on the streets, don't let your mouth write a check that your ass can't cash."

Every time, I hear our blow-hard President run off at his mouth about how he knows more THAN ANYBODY about taxes, banking, campaign finances, debt, social media, politicians, Cory Booker, jobs, history of  infrastructure, international trade, the military, the horrors of nuclear war and the Islamic State, I can envision the daily ass-whoopin's Trump would've gotten in my father's world.

Recently, Trump said, "I would have been a good General." Damn those heel-spurs, eh, Donald?  We will never know just how great a General you could have been.




No comments:

Post a Comment