Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Prioritize My Dear Ones

Growing up in a blue-collar factory-working home, I never gave much thought to money. We always had food, clothes and some kind of auto. Just as important, I always had a baseball glove. I even remember being happy as an eight year old boy having those steel shoe-spikes that you had to nail onto the bottom of street shoes, which was my first so-called baseball spikes. It was sure special when I made that Little League team at age ten...got 'real' spike baseball shoes.

I never did think much about what other boys my age had or didn't have. I recall hearing adults in my family talk about other folks who tried 'keeping up with the Joneses.' Even though there was no Jones family in our neighborhood, I understood from the comments that we were suppose to be happy with what we had and not worry about what the neighbors had.

Many years teaching in secondary schools, I came to notice over time that the student parking lot had later model automobiles than did the faculty parking lot. You may have your own take on that fact but I suggest it speaks volumes about negative and entitlement parenting. I recall our girls' middle school years when they began to notice the 'designer' clothing worn by peers. After fighting the girls when shopping for new school clothes, my wife finally told our two daughters that she would give then the amount of cash she intended to spend on each child getting them ready for school. She told the girls to purchase whatever they wanted. Funny how those two youngsters got frugal with spending trying to stretch their money for more outfits.

In time a young girl becomes a young lady who trades her designer bag for a diaper bag. As for yours truly, I'll thank my Mammy Bennett for telling me a long time ago, "Don't worry catching up with those who have more than you but help out those who have less than you." Mammy was always good for 'laying' those Jesus teachings on your mind. Heavens, I remember one night leaving her presence as I was headed out for a date and Mammy said, "Now, you have a nice time this evening but remember that Jesus is returning a second time so don't be about any activity you'd be shameful of should He return tonight." ....let that sink in folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment