Saturday, March 30, 2019

Can't Accomplish On Own Merit?

It just might be my biggest 'pet peeve.' I am disgusted with those who feel a need to point towards others to address their own hopes, wishes and subsequent successes. I recall once when a coaching colleague of mine went to the school administration complaining that he had only one free period a day and the basketball coach (Mel) had two free periods each day. He said, "It should be equal." The next school year the administration made things equal...they took away one of my planning periods.

I believe there is an inherent weakness in an individual who cannot elevate his fortunes through self-effort. I find a pathetic argument from the lips of politicians who, in dodging a delivery of an honest answer invoke the name of a previous politician suggesting, "Well, what about so-and-so?" Give me a break! When did people get anywhere bitching and pointing fingers? Like my father told me, "Hey, boy if you don't like your circumstance then do something to change it to your liking. He meant 'look within.'

I suspect everybody could point to something in the past that handicapped them in some manner. In this nation we have seen various groups suffer from discrimination of some degree. The Jews, the Irish, the Hispanics, the Blacks, the Catholics, the Mormons, the Polish, the Muslims, etc. We also have groups that perceive discrimination,which in turn serves as their crutch.

As a high school mentor, I wanted to win basketball games but more importantly, I wanted my guys to learn sacrifice, dedication, commitment and develop traits that would help them succeed in life.  I recall one of my African-American basketball players adamantly complaining after we lost a game in an all white community. His contention was 'an all Black basketball team is going to be cheated playing in a White town with White referees.' I scolded that kid hard explaining that WE missed opportunities that could have secured the victory. I made the point he was grabbing a crutch and if he continued to do that he would never live the big life. I explained that it was up to him to take care of business so he could one day have the job he wanted, vacation with family, live where he wanted, shop and eat where he wanted and embrace all that was available in life. I made it clear that he had the ability to achieve and how it is a loser who reaches for crutches and excuses. We ALL have something to overcome. Sure, I understand some have a deeper hole but it serves no good purpose to focus on others thus emphasizing our negative circumstances.

I have many former basketball ball players who live daily successes with family and loved ones. They have solid employment. Their respective circumstances thrill their old Coach. They are proud men and I am proud of them.

Like the locker room signs said:  'Respect All Fear None.'   'Work Hard Or Go Home.'
(Touch)
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment