Monday, March 18, 2019

Part of The Game...Good or Bad

With the NFL Super Bowl fresh in our memory, the NCAA College Basketball Playoffs taking center stage and MLB waiting in the wings, sports fans are buzzing about yesterday, today and what tomorrow holds. Part of the fans' mindset is 'officiating.' Those game management guys and gals. The referees and umpires. Those folks who must 'make-the-call' and listen to the catcalls from the unreasonable spectator...The FANATIC.

As a sport performer in high school/college basketball and baseball and then a coach of the same sports for 39-years plus eleven years of high school and collegiate baseball umpiring, I've observed officiating from all sides. Like any activity or job responsibility, I note a wide range of ability levels in the officiating profession. Let me state up front that the best official/referees are those who go unnoticed during the contest.

Good officials have the following common denominators: They know the rules. They hustle and put themselves in position. They don't anticipate. They work well with the crew. They don't hesitate to confer with partners because they know the importance of 'getting it right' rather than 'being right'...and there is a difference.

As a baseball plate umpire, I established a wide-consistent strike zone and the ball-strike 'call' in the first inning was the 'same pitch call' in the ninth inning. I was determined not to squeeze the zone late in the game. Of the more than 200 pitch calls I'd make in a nine inning game, I expected not to miss more than six calls. The basketball official that ignores the time in the contest and focuses on simply 'making' calls is the best official.

As a pitcher, I never questioned the umpire's call beyond asking where a pitch was in his opinion. I knew that to be successful, I had to adjust to the umpire's strike zone. As a mentor, I told my basketball players that they were NEVER to question an officials 'call.' (I'd do that in their behalf if I thought appropriate.) Just as a baseball pitcher must adjust to the strike zone, the basketball, football player needs to adjust to game referees' tendencies.

 I believe too much focus on game officiating tends to give athletes excuse-crutches. Personally, I never played the game that way, I never parented that way and I never coached that way.  My philosophy was simple: Whatever the conditions or circumstances, I had to take my effort and performance to a level, which overcomes those negatives. It's the only thing in my control.

Finally, I believe that over the years, rules changes and sport officiating has given greater protection to offense performance success. Perhaps the high school basketball game officiating has also been influenced by officials working both college and high school and finding it difficult to embrace the physicality differences of players as it relates to game control and management.



No comments:

Post a Comment