Monday, March 25, 2019

I'm For The Birds

As an East St. Louis high school alumni, I was happy to see my old alma mater win the IHSA Boys' Basketball 3-A Championship. Of course, when I coached basketball against the Flyers, I enjoyed those times my clubs beat the Orange & Blue. Four years playing baseball and three basketball seasons playing  for the Illinois State 'Redbirds,' I toiled with a passion and enjoyed it all. Once I left East Side and Illinois State, I did not 'follow' those teams as a fan and even though I'm an Illinois native, I could care less about the fortunes of the University of Illinois.

When it comes to wearing the 'fans' cap, I've only been a die hard fan of the St. Louis Cardinals. Growing up in East St. Louis in the 1940's & '50's offered a limited fan choice. We had two baseball teams: The Browns & The Birds. ( The Brownies struggled and eventually moved to Baltimore). For a brief period, young boys my age could become NBA fans following the St. Louis Hawks with stars like Bob Pettit, Cliff Hagen, Alex Hannum and 'Easy Ed' McCauley. But the Hawks time in St. Louis was short lived as the 'white' fan base struggled supporting the infusion of black players. Owner Ben Kerner pulled the plug and St. Louis' loss was Atlanta's gain. Of course the Rams story was more complex but resulted in the same end...no pro football for St. Louis. I was gone from the Metro-East area about the time the 'Blues' came to town therefore my sports' love affair was singular...Redbirds!

This week marks the beginning of the Major League Baseball, season and this old man can once again become that 'kid' who will angst with ever pitch. I will close my eyes during the National  Anthem and remember moments with my dad who first introduced me to that 'game.' I will recall sitting with brothers Tom and Marty as Bob Gibson finished off the Yanks in game seven of the 1964 World Series. I recall that May day sitting on the first base side at Sportsman Park when 'The Man' hit five home runs in a double header. I will root for high priced overpaid ball players who stand on the shoulders of my heroes, Musial, Marion, Martin, Medwick, Moore, Slaughter, Kurowski, Munger, Pollit, Rice, Javier, Schoendiest and Brecheen.

Yep! This is the ONLY season and the Cardinals are the ONLY team that will permit me to be that person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal known as... 'The Fanatic.'           PLAY BALL!
(Touch)
A Cardinals' Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment