Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Hear The Message

Yesterday, I was coming out of the shopping mall when a Decatur basketball fan stopped me and asked if I had been watching the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. I told him that I had and then he pursued to get my insight on thoughts about Michigan State coach, Tom Izzo openly screaming at one of his players during a time out. Again, I answered in the affirmative. Naturally, the gent wanted my 'take.'

I attempted to answer the fan's question not in behalf of Izzo but from my personal perspective as a former player and coach. Successful coaches build a cohesiveness similar to a family. That means emotions are intense and run the wide spectrum. We laugh together, cry together and embrace one another in good times and bad times. Yes, we can even yell in anger. Now, that said, I did not like to 'dress down' my guys in public. Don't mistake that comment. I got after players in the arena and sometimes that 'get-after' was extremely strong but while doing so my body language did not match my actual language. Therefore, everybody saved face. I told players, 'Listen to the message and don't get caught up in the animation or tone.

My philosophy on the subject is this> I never really dressed down my reserves but I did my starters because I felt the starters earned that privilege. Funny how every player wanted to be a starter. Do you suppose they wanted more attention from me?

No comments:

Post a Comment