Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Frightening Concern

Coupled with my own seven teenage years and 39-years as a secondary educator, I yet make no expertise claim on the subject of teen deprsssion and anxiety. That said, I have never-the-less observed teenage drama and intense emotional feelings up close. In my own journey, I would not deny that occasionally, I have felt depressed. I have never liked that emotion and I'm thankful that I could always dismiss those moments by re-focusing on those things within my control that offered a sense of accomplishment and joy.

Research and various studies reveal that depression, anxiety and suicides are all on the rise amongst American teenagers; a significant rise.

I recall one of my own adult children sharing with me the feeling that those high school years were not that enjoyable. I was surprised to hear that comment and investigated the opinion only to find out it was a common feeling with many young adults. All indications point to the fact that those feelings are intensifying with each generation.

This 1957, high school graduate has a difficult time relating to those sentiments. I remember my teen years as carefree, fun, memorable and joyful. Naturally, I ask 'What happened?" What is different for teens when comparing 1957 to 2019? Is the availability and abuse of alcohol and drugs an issue? Is social media a key factor causing sleepless nights, anxiety and depression?  Is it socio-economic differences, which escalates loneliness, bullying and ostracism? Perhaps the growing ugly political discourse and the 'us' versus 'them' daily social battleground feeds a national depression.

I always believed that three institution served as foundations for producing mentally healthy people.  Those 'institutions' were the family, the church and education. Perhaps one or all of these institutions have eroded in effective impact. I'm just not sure of the cause for today's unhappy, depressed and suicidal  teenagers but it has become an epidemic that begs immediate attention with resources to turn the tide. It appears we Americans are killing ourselves with crumbling physical and mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment