Thursday, May 9, 2019

Ode to White Bucks

I was sitting in the Mall Courtyard waiting for my wife to finish her shopping when I noticed several teen girls passing by wearing jeans with holes. It's obvious that the holes are strategically located as part of a fashion statement. Folks from this old man's generation don't 'get it.' Nope, we were told not to wear such clothing because people would think your poor. In the same breath, mom told us to wear clean underwear in case, blah, blah...

The first ten years of my life, I was unaware and unconcerned about fashions. I thought everybody wanted to wear jeans, a white T-shirt and Chuck Taylor Converse All Star tennis shoes; everybody I knew did! About the time I hit 6th grade and certainly junior high status, I was nudged by peers to the must world of Levi's and soon thereafter 'white buck shoes.'

Those high school years demanded cord pants (a pair of both blue and brown pin stripes), St. Louis orange thread needle shoes and 'Mr B' collar shirts. The V-neck sweater and khaki pants were a wardrobe must along with buckskin brown shoes and black and white saddle shoes. The latter shoe required a confident male. Argyle socks were a must beneath tapered or pegged pants.

When my eighth grade buddy, Terry and I walked into the Majestic Theater wearing tan leather thread needles, pegged blue cord pants, a pink Mr. 'B' Shirt and a white large brim Stetson hat with a black ban, we were too much to behold!

Recently, I am reminded that my clothing fashion has come 'full circle.' Today, I'm wearing white socks inside New Balance athletic shoes, shorts and a T-shirt. Finally, once again, I don't care
so much what others think but more about how I feel.
(Touch)
Lookin' Good

No comments:

Post a Comment