Friday, May 24, 2019

Keep On Keepin' On!

My wife of 59-years, Gerry recently asked how many folks are reading my blogs these days.  I told her nearly 400 and asked if she'd like to read any readers' comments. She said, "Nope, I heard enough criticism of you over a 39-year coaching career while seated behind your bench. I don't suppose you're any better writing than coaching." (She's sooo cute!)

Actually, most often before I post my blogs, I read them aloud to my wife. I seldom ever change anything should she offer criticism but have on a few occasions because I do value her opinions. Her opinion is very consistent. My wife does not like me writing political (opinion) blogs but prefers I post lighthearted human interest, family oriented pieces. Actually, I read a lot, observe or hear something and suddenly a topic comes to mind; I roll it around in my slightly above average brain then write my 'rant.'

A friend once inquired, "Do you become angry or hurt when a reader takes issue or says something ugly?" I told the friend, "If I felt either of those emotions, I wouldn't put myself out there for scrutiny.
(Note: Let me give a little insight to coaching high school basketball. With 2800 fans in attendance, one can bet that the coach, in some opinions is playing the wrong 'five,' using the wrong defense or offense, playing at the wrong tempo, holding the ball too soon or not soon enough and is wearing an ugly sport coat.)  Whereas, I am like most people wishing to be 'liked,' I obviously have had enough validation in my life that I'm not seeking more! Take it or leave; agree or disagree; that's the readers' right and choice as it was the basketball fans' choice.

Following are some techniques I embraced when criticized as a coach and today when attacked as a blog writer:
 1. I don't take it personally.
 2. I don't usually feel a need to 'defend' myself.
 3. If I am wrong in a statement or statistics, I'll admit the wrong and apologize if proper.
 4. I'll respond if motivated.
 5. I don't withdraw or shut down due to praise or criticism...I stay my course. I move on.

Thanks for reading. I'm humbled you took the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment