Saturday, May 25, 2019

I Plead Guilty...I Give Advice

Following is an excerpt from my book, 'Angels On My Journey:'

I shall confess, I have an inclination to give advice to my loved ones and others I come to know well. I make no apologies. Why would I if I care about their future and happiness? Actually, the advice is straightforward.

My college roommate and dear friend, Kenneth 'Buzz' Shaw once asked me while walking across ISU campus after basketball practice this question: "Have you ever thought about who are the happiest people you know?" I responded, " Can't say I've given that any thought at all." Buzz then made his point: "I believe the happiest people are those people making a living at a profession or job they love and figure out how to help people." I never forgot that exchange and used it as a piece of advice. (Note: Shaw played on Edwardsville second place State Finals basketball team in 1956 with Manny Jackson and Gov. Vaughn. Shaw was later chancellor at Syracuse University his last 17-professional years.)

Please don't misread my point. I have known people of both gender, every ethnic background and socio-economic circumstance who are both happy and unhappy. I have been adamant cautioning young people that they will likely 'work' for some forty years after their education. As a young person do you imagine waking every morning and going to a job you hate for forty years? Think about that in advance and instead of having life happen 'to you,' make your work experiences happen 'for you.'

Once you are in a good place providing for family and self needs, look around and respond to needs of others who may be less fortunate. As Christ said, "That which you do for the least of my people you do also for me." I have never felt so good as in those moments I do something to make it better in the moment for another. Therein, I find joy and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment