Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Best Thing I Didn't Do!

It's naturally a good feeling to act upon an idea that has merit. I'd like to believe I've done that frequently in my life and consequently pleased with outcomes. This past Sunday, I stifled an idea and found I was equally pleased with my 'inaction.'

I was sitting on the front porch with Pup, Yodie after church having coffee and watching the fast moving clouds. I thought about such moments in the past when I'd telephone one of my old high school teammates and friends. I'd call Smitty, Blackie, Pud, Coop or Lumpy. Those good buddies have passed and I miss our conversations.

Realizing my once phone-conversation void, I immediately thought I'd telephone a couple of grandkids; why not? I have great relationships with these 15-grandchildren. I could call Colin who recently relocated in Michigan and see how things are going. Perhaps I could call Kyle, I haven't talked with him in a bit. Caleb and I could commiserate about our baseball Cardinals' woes. I  might telephone Erica or Kaitlyn, Lord knows we share common views regarding people. Lindsay, Loren and Morgan telephone Nana and Boompa often; I could return their calls. I could be enlightened by telephoning Reid or Todd.  Alexa just made varsity cheerleading and she may have a story. Shannon just got her driver's permit. I should call her.

Holy cow, I could go for the trifecta and telephone the triplets, Carter, Jake and Jamie. I know they got stuff to share! Connor is doing a internship with the Indiana University sports' department; that might be an interesting conversation. And there's always a potential chat with Little Miss Con Girl, Ashlyn to find out how many times this past week she got out of her second grade classroom to 'see the Nurse?' And there's always a good talk awaiting with the Pied Piper of the gang, first grandchild, Amanda.

I quickly decided to pass on all options. I don't wish to go down that road. I'd Become known as the old fart telling grandkids how they should live their lives. Actually, I believe I already have that mantle. Well, at least for the moment, I 'nipped in the bud' adding fuel to that notion.

I don't know about other grandparents but I do have that urge to tell one more thing or share one more warning with grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment