Friday, May 31, 2019

I've Told You I'm of Average Intelligence

Perhaps a real smart baseball person out there can come to my rescue. I'm missing something. I try my best to understand, I truly do. Here's the deal. I played the sport of baseball from age 8 until age 23. I've coached high school baseball, I umpired eleven years working the NCAA DIVISION II WORLD SERIES in Springfield, Illinois 1978. I have followed baseball closely as a fan for some 71- years.

Okay! It's my understanding that today's MLB players workout most of their off-season. They report to spring training camps in mid-February and the season opens the end of March, first of April. It is now June 1st, and I notice some players hitting well below expectations. I then hear the following comments from players or reported by sports' broadcaster, "I'm getting close." "He's getting close."
Spring training is designed with the specific purpose for players to 'get close.' Close to playing at the level of expectation suggested by the salary paid.

The MLB season is nearly one-third over and I notice 'MY TEAM' is getting close to the cellar.
As Ricky often requested of Lucy, "S'plain it."

No comments:

Post a Comment