Sunday, September 8, 2019

America's Declining Dignity

Swearing has always been part of the American folkways. Even our politicians of yesterday did their fair amount of 'cursing' or as we said in my neighborhood, 'cussing.' We must make the point, however that most politicians in days gone by did their cussing in private moments not before a campaign crowd. Well, that behavior appears in jeopardy for this 2020 presidential campaign trail.

President Trump's public potty-mouth is well documented and for the sake of decency, I shall not list all of Donald's vulgar mouthing moments. I also will point to Joe Biden who thought he was off-microphone when he made his infamous 'f'..ing' remark to Obama regarding the passing of the Affordable Care Act. With the aforementioned underscored, please note that dropping the 'f-bomb' and other nasty language is becoming more the norm on this 2020 presidential run. Now, some who dislike Trump will lay the blame at his feet but I think that's far too easy and untrue. I think the reason we hear this vulgarity slipping into the political arena is simply because it's become common place in the general public. That's right. And it's likely to get worse because as a society we no longer hold folks accountable and if we should the person we chastised for foul language is likely 'carrying.'

The thought occurs to me that if we begin giving a potty-mouth pass to our elected officials why not teachers, television commentators and celebrities? I know how high school kids spew vulgarities so let the teachers' rip on the student, eh? Boy, can you imagine how some on-the-scene reporters could give 'colorful' wording to fires, tornadoes and hurricanes. And just think how wonderfully descriptive our sports' heroes  could explain a spectacular play.

Call me a fool (and some do), I still call out young or old who bark out a vulgarity in my presence especially if my wife or other women are nearby.
(Touch)
My World

No comments:

Post a Comment