Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Decision Was for Me!

A few months ago, I had a healthy and interesting debate with fellow Christian friends about reactions to the 'Street-Corner-Panhandlers.' One individual was adamant suggesting that these handout-seekers are organized by, I suppose a 'money pimp.' I have a difficult time imaging that proposed sophistication. I simply don't give much thought to the whys behind the beggar. I suspect some are vets, many are homeless and many likely in the grips of addiction. I simply don't know and I have not the time nor inclination to investigate each individuals' personal motivation. I remember my youth when homeless, questionable-looking fellas showed up at the back door wanting a handout or offering to do chores for food or money. Back in that day, we called those guys 'Hobos.'  My family often gave them a little work project and then a couple of dollars and sent them on their way. Of course, my maternal grandmother, Mammy Bennett found some food and perhaps old shoes, socks or a shirt for them.

Personally, I sometimes give a few bucks to those Street-Corner beggars. I would likely give more often but obviously I have financial limits. No, I'm not concerned with the thought>'will this person purchase alcohol?'  I give because I am moved at the moment to do so and I have a dollar I don't need just then.

I know some of the taxes I pay goes to government programs for the needy as I understand some monies I tithe to my church does likewise. In both those instances somebody else has the audacity to make the giveaway decision in my behalf. So be it. I scratch my head with amazement how people in control of monies rationalize their giving. President Trump recently gave a big tax break that benefited the more affluent citizenry while his 2019 budget called for many cuts in programs for the poverty stricken. He also gave a 16-billion dollar bailout to farmers adversely affected by his tariffs. Trump can do that because he's President and I can give my money to the corner panhandler because...

"If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion--how can God's love be in that person?" 1-John 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment