Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Separation of Church and State

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." So reads the actual words of the First Amendment of the Constitution.

I personally confess Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior. As coach, I said a basketball pre-game prayer before every game. I could have been called on the carpet for that activity but I never was.
I understand that organized prayer moments in our public schools presents monumental issues. Whose prayer book shall be embraced, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, etc. Each of the aforementioned religious groups are likely made up of tax paying citizens supporting the public schools, therefore why not 'their' prayer?

I am always amused by nincompoops who make such shortsighted proclamations, i.e., "We need to bring back prayer in our schools." First, I find it rather lame to expect our public 'schools' to do so many parenting responsibilities and secondly, I'd wish somebody would explain to me why only 14-to-18 percent of professed American Christians attend church on a weekly basis and it's these folks wanting prayer in schools.

As for prayer in public schools. Let's do it. Let's aside15-minutes daily for student prayer sessions. We just need to establish many room locations offering prayer from every organized American religion plus a room for non-believers to stare out the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment