Sunday, September 1, 2019

Stranger in this Land

Change happens; some for the benefit and good of mankind while some to the detriment of a society. In my lifetime, I've noticed some terrific developments, inventions and progress, which has positively impacted generations before and after my crowd. There have been numerous medical advancements that improve and extend life. Scientific technology continues to result in the positive domino effect.

On a personal note, I no longer need to stop four or five times to ask directions when traveling across country. Nope, I simply type an address into my auto's navigation system and some female voice guides this direction-challenged individual through a maze of highways to the doorstep of my destination. Oh, and I don't need to roll-down my auto window to give arm-signals indicating which way I'm turning...'How 'bout that vacation fans?!'

With all the good changes occurring during my journey, I must pause and consider a downside in America's 21st Century culture. Whereas technology seemingly has given us great advantages, we seem hell-bent to continue a downward spiral of social mores leading to destructive behavior. 
My grandkids can't ride a bike across town for fear of abduction. Adults in positions of leadership and moral authority, i.e., teachers and clergy are no longer viewed as certain safe havens but perhaps something to the contrary. 
  
Here's a few other noted changes:    
 1. I notice folks dress down these days more than dressing 'up.' 
 2. Vulgar expressions and cursing is common in the public square.
 3. Over-indulgence is the rule with both food and alcohol. Moderation is blasé' 
 4. Many Americans claim a religious faith while fewer attend a worship place.
 5. More and more youngsters are crippled by over-protective parents living vicariously through their 
     children. Not only do parents want the teacher or coach to be fired if their child is not highlighted
     but they will buy alcohol for underage children for the Homecoming Party and cheat to get them 
     into prestigious universities. ( I've documented both).
 6. The open expressions of hateful bigotry is now in the light of day. 
 7. Due to the thirst for money and power, our nation is incapable of addressing the escalating gun 
     violence resulting in a society that lives in fear, suspicion and distrustfulness.
 8. Our neighbors no longer read, research or investigate in order to understand or conclude, but
     gather information from comments posted on questionable Internet sites just as long as the
     information 'fits' a predetermined attitude embraced by a closed mind.
 9. Today, our countrymen debate 'truth;' wrap your mind around that thought!
10 Never did I think that in America the day would come when mud-slides, wildfires, global
     warming, foreign terror-attack, tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes would be ALMOST as
     frightening as a domestic mass shooter showing up at my grandchild's school picnic.

I suspect others from my generation may feel as I do; 'A stranger in paradise.



     


No comments:

Post a Comment