Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Money

Unless you live under a rock, you know by now that America's biggest automaker, General Motors saw 50,000 employees walk off the job last week and declare a workers' strike. These are the times that I wish I fully understood economics. I shall admit, I don't. However, like most of my fellow Americans, I still have an opinion and subsequently pick a side to support. It's easy for me when I understand that a journeyman assembly-line worker is making $38.00 per hour ($123,000.00 per year) compared to the General Motors CEO who makes 295-times that amount for a whopping 22 million dollars a year salary. On a personal note my first 'new' auto purchase was a 1962 Chevy II, with a $2,200.00 price tag...my wife and I purchased a 2019 Toyota Avalon last year with a sticker price of $41,000.00.  As Forrest Gump would opine, "And that's all I have to say about that."

I will tell you that there remains two events in my youth that turned me off on economics: First, it was the fifth grade at Woodrow Wilson Grade School when the teacher posed this arithmetic word problem> 'Bobby's dad bought 10-gallons of gasoline at .30 cents per gallon. He drives his next door neighbor to and from work very day, which totals 34-miles round trip. If the two men are to split cost, how much should Bobby's dad charge his neighbor weekly?' I immediately thought, how sad. I would not ask my neighbor for a nickel for gas but develop such a friendship that he'd offer to fill up my car once in awhile. I suppose that's one reason I majored in sociology in college.

Secondly, it was about the same time when the Coca-Cola Company discontinued a seventy-year tradition. For 70-years a bottle of Coke was a nickel. Coke increased from .5 cents to .6 cents. Why just two days ago, I walked passed a vending machine and noticed a bottle of Coke was $1.75.
(Touch)
Money--That's What They Need

No comments:

Post a Comment