Thursday, February 6, 2020

"Birds of a Feather"

I've never met conservative radio personality, Rush Limbaugh but I have read excerpts of his books and heard segments of his daily radio program through the years. I do not hate the man but I have long despised his boastful, arrogant, mean spirited and divisive hate filled rhetoric. Likewise, I perceive him as extremely bigoted.

Limbaugh recently announced that he has stage-4 lung cancer, which I was sad to hear. He will be one of many for whom I petition my Lord in prayer daily when I ask that Jesus be with those who are facing health issues requiring treatment and healing. I always pray for Christ's comforting grace on those who mourn, on those who keep vigils, on those who struggle with financial and relationship issues and those who face surgeries. I don't exclude the people who look or think differently than me.

Recently, President Trump awarded Rush Limbaugh with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I question such a choice. Limbaugh's professional life has been wrapped in ugly verbal and often times unproven accusations as he attempts to advance the Republican Party agenda. Limbaugh and Trump share many personality similarities anchored in divisive hate-rhetoric, which I suspect motivated Trump's selection of Limbaugh to receive this honor. Consider a few past recipients: Rosa Parks (Civil Rights Activists), Elie Wiesel (Holocaust survivor) and Neil Armstrong ( First Astronaut to step on the moon). Limbaugh on the other hand, called President Obama, "The Magic Negro." Limbaugh accused Michael J. Fox of "faking his Parkinson" and told an African-American woman to "Take the bone out of your nose and call me back."  There was also the young Georgetown University law student, Sandra Fluke who spoke to Congress and pitched for contraceptives for high school and college students without co-pay. Limbaugh called her out casting her as a "slut" and a "prostitute" and requesting video of her having sex if "we pay for your contraceptives." Of course,  these sentiments and ugly language is so very Trump-like!

  The award to Limbaugh will  open the door for future Presidents to award this medal to biased political-hacks, which cheapens the significance of the honor. Who shall be the next, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly or perhaps Rachel Maddow or Chris Cuomo when a Democratic President wishes to hand out meaningless awards.



No comments:

Post a Comment