Friday, February 21, 2020

That's Life

Not long ago, a young father expressed a concern to me saying he feared his four year old son would not elect to play sports. He then asked me what he could do to move the boy in that direction?

I told the anxious dad to "relax." I continued explaining to him that it's not unusual seeing more than one golfer in a family, more than one fisherman in a family and more than one coin collector in a family. I explained that the dad's interests will clearly become apparent to his son. I also offered a word of caution: "Be careful; one thing certain sport must be fun."

It is often and correctly stated that "kids say the darndest things." Well, I strongly believe that our children observe the deepest most subtle things and absorb it like a sponge. Parental behavior becomes a life-style blueprint likely to be embraced by our sons and daughters. Beyond the aforementioned subtle persuasions towards sport interests consider the impact on the child exposed to literature, the arts, entertainment, political disposition, volunteerism service, diet, interpersonal communication and a faith-based religion. Perhaps Proverbs 22:6- speaks profoundly:
"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Even though I acknowledge my contributions and impact (positive or negative) upon my children, I have been adamant to make my children aware of the fact that I will never take credit for their successes nor assume responsibility for their failures. They are to make their own choices and commitments to accomplish that which they find rewarding and personally valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment