Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Cast Aside Imagined Hurdles

There are two attitudes that are deeply rooted in my personal philosophy. First, I become immediately curious when somebody suggests something cannot be done. When I hear such a comment, I process two thoughts: Is what is said cannot be done 'worth doing' and would I care to apply my passion to get it done? Secondly, after giving my all out effort and it's over, I am capable of walking away with no regrets and without critiquing my successor; I take the attitude that I had my time, now the time blongs to another.

I believe many people avoid challengingly engagements because it's much easier to embrace pseudo reasons for abstinence. I have heard their excuses for reluctance and apathy: 1) "I cannot make a difference because in the larger scheme of things, my status is insignificant." (Some might say the superintendent is the most significant person in the school district. I will make the case that the bus driver picking up elementary kids for school is more significant because the driver is the first daily educational contact for an impressionable child). 2) "I am handicapped because of age, gender, ethnicity or minority status." (I would remind the reader that Stephen Crane was in his twenties when he wrote "The Red Badge of Courage." Ronald Reagan was in his seventies when elected President and Jackie Robinson...well, we  all know the hurdles negotiated by a focused and committed Robinson). 3) "I'm afraid I'll fail." (My friends, all that we do could fail...however, remember we accomplish in proportion what we attempt).

I would challenge all to recognize their gifts and talents and know your weaknesses. Then decide to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negatives as the song encourages.
(Touch)Accentuate The Positive

No comments:

Post a Comment