Sunday, February 23, 2020

Just a God Wink

There was Pal, Skippy, Zipper, Peggy, Sarge, GiGi, Duchess, Konigin, Rueben, Gizmo, Percy and Yodie. They have been dogs in my life. Pup companions from youth until present times.Those domesticated four-legged animals, which cause Americans to spend the bulk of the $72 billions annually on pet care. What is it that drives this love affair with those canines?

I cannot speak for others but as for me, I trace my love connection with dogs back to some unspoken understanding between a little boy and his dog. Just as adults have those moments when they need to talk and share with mates or a special confidant so does the adolescent child. While uncertain about adult or peer responses to my youthful problems, I found comfort unloading my problems on my dog. Sure I did! I told my dog about the kid up the street that was mean and unfriendly. I shared with my dog my anger and sadness over punishment from parents.

As I entered adulthood, my relationship with my pups changed somewhat. I didn't burden my dog any longer with my problems but I'd oblige with a game of fetch or take that evening walk. Many evenings while watching television I would pat and stroke my fury friend as he slept on the couch nearby. If he hurt himself running or in some other fashion he'd look up at me with a puzzled glance as if to inquire, 'Why did you let that happen.' A few tragedies I have endured with my dogs through the years. Sure I know the greater heartaches of human tragedies and I do I pray for my fellow man. Although not to be compared to man's tragedies, I nonetheless have felt the sickness and shed tears at those times when I held my old dog and felt his body go limp in my arms as I tried and tried to convince myself that 'it was time.'

Today, my dog, Yodie and me share three things: fun, white hair and old age. I try not to dwell on what lies ahead for either of us but I just enjoy our games and walks and most of all those moments when I reach my hand out and pet him as he sleeps at my side. And in those moments there's a little boy which, still stirs inside this old mind.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."...Will Rogers


No comments:

Post a Comment