Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Humble To Say The Least.

My, My, MY, how the times does fly! Don't remember a thing about that February18th day 1939, when I made my debut. Actually, my first recollection of this 81-year journey is my mother potty-training me by having me pee in a Coke bottle. I suppose that's how my competitive, hit-the-target spirit began. I do know to this day I have the urge to 'Go' when seeing a Coke bottle; I drink Pepsi.

Goodness, I was blessed with great parents who showed me love while explaining the meaning of words; words like> 'No, Respect, Curfew and Sorry.' Yes, there was a village that impacted my adolescent years of development. I became somewhat skilled at basketball and baseball but not good enough to cause my parents to make me believe that the sun popped out of my butt giving light to the world. I had coaches who mentored me in ways that allowed me to connect the dots of personal commitment, dedication, teamwork and how they would be applicable in life's challenges.

I met a 13-year old girl who would be next to me for seven years before she became my wife of now nearly sixty-years. She has been my best friend. She readily packed and moved with children into six different communities as she supported her husband's coaching passion. Many of those 37-years she found herself sitting in bleachers embracing the cheers and ignoring the critics while preparing team meals and laundering team uniforms. Funny but true, I more easily recall the lessons from defeat than the celebrations in victory, which seems to be the make-up of the competitor.

Today as I pass by the many photos, plaques and awards that hang on my office walls, I recall relationships with assistants who joined in ownership to causes and the hundreds and hundreds of athletes who trusted me...I shall always love them for such loyalty.

With the aforementioned so wonderful, I can only state that the blessings of children (their spouses), grandchildren (their spouses) and great-grandchildren put the icing on this old man's birthday cake.
I thank my Lord many times throughout each day. I am reminded of a quote from the late St. Louis Cardinals' baseball broadcaster, Jack Buck, which applies to me, "If one day I should be fortunate enough to meet my God, I have but one question to ask of Him: "Why were you so good to me?"

I believe I'll take my sweetheart out for dinner tonight...of course, I know, The Time Will Fly.
(Touch)
How T he Time Flies

No comments:

Post a Comment