Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Those Who Pray Understand Prayer

Many years ago, my parents gave me a copy of Rush Limbaugh's book, "The Way Things Ought To Be." I suppose it was their attempt to entice me to denounce my liberal democratic ways and embrace the conservative / family values ideals of the Republican Party. I graciously accepted the book and rejected the concept. Besides, I recall my father preaching to me as a younster, "Don't let me have to tell you twice." Well, he told me in those early years that the Democratic Party took care of the poor, middle class and union workers. Since we were lower-middle class and he was a union guy and since mother preached Jesus teachings, it was a no brainer for me to be a Liberal -Democrat. I've never changed. My parents changed when they moved up a social class with greater financial stability.

My Christian belief moves me to pray daily for government leaders regardless of party affiliation.
 I pray for the sick, those broken in relationships, caught in financial despair, the homeless, the grieving and those devastated with disasters. When I know names, I petition the Lord with specifics but I still ask God for comforting grace, mercy and healing for the millions of nameless who are suffering all over the earth.

As President Trump dismisses the thought and possibility that political rival, Nancy Pelosi prays for  him underscores the likelihood that Trump is completely void of a 'Born again' experience. That's unfortunate because I also pray for our President no matter that President's politics. These days I also pray for Limbaugh while he is battling lung cancer. The fact that Limbaugh is recklessly bold in defiance of conventional mores as he spews hate language, he is still a vulnerable man facing difficult treatment, pain and uncertainty. I know the angst as I've kept vigils on loved ones as I held their hands as they passed from this life.

Now, I answer your likely question: 'How can you pray for the likes of a Donald Trump and Rush Limbaugh?' Well, my Lord was ridiculed and beaten as He died.  Yet before dying He asked and prayed that His murderers be forgiven. I say that I'm a Christian...Is not a Christian one who aspires to be Christlike?

Final comment: As Rush fights this terrible cancer disease, he continues to tell us 'How Things Ought To Be." I'll give him credit for one thing: He pushes the button of many angry white people who think whites 'ought to be' superior to darker skin shades. Actually, it was easy for Rush since the superior attitude of whites is one of our nation's greatest historical traits.






No comments:

Post a Comment